[DGD] Virtual objects

Arnau Rossell=?US-ASCII?Q?=F3?= Castell=?US-ASCII?Q?=F3?= arocas at alumni.uv.es
Sun Dec 9 07:03:53 CET 2001

Hi, i'm trying to implement some kind of pervasive virtual objects, that could
be used everywhere; And the best way i can think of is something along these
lines:
-Close compile_object for calls outside the kernel.
-Fix clone_object() to transparently compile master files if necesary, clone
them, and add the virtual name as an entry to a mapping, with the value being
the actual object.
- fix call_other(),call_out(),object_name(), etc... to look at said mapping and
replace strings for actual objects when needed.

I think this would add a lot of overhead if deployed as the standard way to
refer to objects, and i'm not sure it's benefits would pay for it, is there a
better way to do it? Is this way actually that slow?

Thanks in advance.

      Arnau.

PD: What are exactly those lightweight objects? How can I use them and what are
they good for? the mailing list logs aren't explicit enough about them(or i
haven't looked hard enough, whatever).