[DGD] Sectors/Dump_state/SwapFile

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 12 07:20:51 CET 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:13:25PM -0800, Chooser Fireman wrote:
> Can anyone hand me a document or something on these things? I am a
> bit new and don't understand fully what is going on with these ...
>
> I understand the concept of dump_state and the swapfile ... but when
> i dump_state my sectors remain the same ... I thought dump_state
> removed and reworked a new swapfile?

Yes, but since the #sectors-used indicates the number of sectors in
the swapfile/-device in use, why would that suddenly change?  All that
might have changed is that the not-yet-written-back data is sent to
file and that as a result it gets a little bigger or smaller, but that
won't be much.

The #sectors-used doesn't change if a copy of an object is swapped in
from the swapfile to 'real' memory, if that's what you were thinking.

Regards,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at xs4all.nl>