[DGD] Makefile change - fine tuning

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Dec 26 00:18:25 CET 2001

Noah Lee Gibbs <angelbob at monkeyspeak.com> wrote:

> > That's how I've always done it. I'm not sure how another solution
> > could be better... ? I mean, I suppose you could put a 'yacc' shell
> > script in /usr/bin and make it run bison with the right parameters,
> > but other than that...
>
> If there were, for instance, a YACC variable in the top-level Makefile, or
> a config file somewhere I was missing, or a configure script or
> something.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some canonical way to
> do the same thing that I was missing, some spiritual equivalent of
> "./configure YACC='bison -o y.tab.c'".

I have very little faith in configure scripts.  About half, or perhaps more,
of programs with configure scripts that I install on my machine bug out
either during the configure phase or during compilation, at which point
I have to edit the scripts myself, to see what they are trying to do and
what goes wrong.

If something goes wrong with the compilation of DGD, I would much rather
have the solution within easy reach.  Putting the YACC variable in the top
Makefile is a good idea.