[DGD] Persistance

Kevin N. Carpenter kevinc at seaplace.org
Fri Dec 28 18:06:50 CET 2001

> It's exciting to think what persistence could bring to a MUD.  Players
> could
> be allowed to change the landscape - but wisdom tells us that players
> aren't
> always going to be thematically correct, and sometimes they are going
> be
> sloppy, poorly described, with typos and grammatical errors.  If you
put
> restraints on what they create, the other problem is that
newly-created
> objects, after a point, will seem stale and generic.  I think that
this is
> the obvious reason for having "wizards" - wizards you can reign in
with
> design standards.  Players are not so easily controlled.

I've been thinking around a compromise based around a couple (3-4?)
wizards with Admin power and the rest of the mud running on an economy
based system where folks can buy houses, rent rooms, etc.  For smaller
amounts of money they could buy objects and be able to customize how
they appear.  Object ownership appears to be a trivial issue, so crime
will be low. <grin>

> I had hoped that someone would introduce a thread regarding game
design on
> the DGD list - particularly to take advantage of the unique strengths
of
> the
> DGD driver.

Game design is cool.  If that's what this thread evolves too it's fine
with me.

> Here's my question - state dumps should be performed at intervals, in
case
> of
> crashes, and should also be performed when you manually shut down the
MUD.
> Is there a generic function for performing a state dump?

dump_state()

Kevin C.