[DGD] Persistance

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Sun Dec 30 03:47:34 CET 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Shevek wrote:
> True, but if the blueprint technique was implemented simply enough then
> once a room was approved it should be possible to have the entire blueprint
> produced automatically including standard objects. So the user could set
> long descriptions, short descriptions, exits, standard objects only (I like
> Par's flowchart idea). Non-standard objects would of course require someone
> to sit down and actually code them, but all the rest could just be thrown
> into a creation object that produces the entire set of rooms without any help.
> The point is that there are plenty of people on virtually every mud that
> have solid ideas for areas, but lack the required skills to put them into
> code. Having a system of standard rooms/objects with a small number of
> skilled coders providing the non-standard objects lets you use a wider set
> of people to produce good areas without limiting yourself to using only
> those people who can code.

I agree with all this. Of course, very similar systems have been
tried before, with roommaker objects. Experience has shown (at
least my, admittedly limited, experience has shown) that roommakers
lead to bland and boring areas. The question in my mind is not so
much whether it will work - done properly, it will - but whether
the results will be very good. My guess is that most good ideas
require enough custom coding that a blueprint object, unless it
is substantially better than roommakers of years past (which is
not impossible by any means) would represent much of an improvement
over the traditional method.

Steve