[DGD]cd ....

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 3 00:00:01 CET 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:53:10PM +0100, Felix Croes wrote:
> David M Beatty <dmbeatty939 at juno.com> wrote:
>
> > does anybody know what the windows version of dgd was compiled
> > on then(the one you get from ftp.imaginary.com?).. i have been able
> > to get outside the mud on all of the windows versions i've downloaded
> > from there
>
> I was unable to reproduce it -- but someone else was.

That was me, said the fool.

>                                                        The reason is that
> I run NT, and this more-than-two-dots nonsense is only a feature, at the
> OS level apparently, of Windows 95/98.

Right, this is an old ms-dos feature, $deity bless its soul.

A sequence of dots in a dos-path is short-cut for repeatedly using
/../ in your path (or \..\ if you're actually in dos.

So for instance:

  C:\Erwin\dgd\> cd ...
  C:\>

Now when you do this inside DGD (my kernel-lib is at C:\Erwin\dgd\mud)

  ---- Quote starts -----
  <...fire up stock DGD 1.2 + kernel-lib and log in as admin...>
  #  ed /..../config.sys
  "/..../config.sys" 18 lines, 298 characters
  :q
  #
  ---- Quote ends ----

Gotta love it.  Should work under any ms-dos derived OS: W95, W98, ME
probably as well.

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte         :    `Don't mind Erwin, he gets crabby. :)'
harte at xs4all.nl     :       -- Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net>