[DGD]Default Wiztool not loaded ?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Feb 18 17:08:01 CET 2001

"Tim Vernum" <tpv at acay.com.au> wrote:

> Dworkin wrote:
>
> >There is a peculiarity in the /cmds model which I was anxious to
> >avoid: the commands are not just in separate files, but they are
> >even in separate instantiated <objects>.  This has led to a near-
> >endless stream of security problems.
>
> The reverse is also true.
> If you put all commands into a small number of objects, and then
> need to allow command X high privileges, you usually end up
> giving it to command Y.
> Which means your command objects need to have the highest level
> of security, and you can let anyone other than your most trusted
> developers touch them.

Quite so, but you've missed the point of my argument: the problem is
not one versus many command objects, but that these command objects
are <shared> between all players.  Shared command objects indeed
require a high access level.  They may have this always, or they
may acquire a specific player's privileges for each command; each
of these methods has its problems.

In the kernel library, each player with wizard-level access has his
or her own wiztool, with its own privileges.  /kernel/lib/wiztool
masks all functions that are relevant to security, so that any
inheriting object only has the level of access appropriate for the
owner of that object.

As a result, command security is handled by only three objects:
/kernel/sys/driver, /kernel/lib/auto and /kernel/lib/wiztool.  An
enormous improvement, in my view.