[DGD]Ping ?

Tavis Elliott tavise at nwlink.com
Tue Feb 20 17:06:30 CET 2001

The easiest way to do this is to log into a shell account on your
application's host machine while the "lag" is happening, and run 'ping'
(after you've obtained the user's IP address).  If the user is behind a
firewall this may not work.

If you want to do this from the application, you'll have to actually
implement some form of a "ping" in LPC using the network package, or find an
existing implementation of ping in C and merge it into the DGD source.
(Again, if the user is behind a firewall, this may not work)

If your ultimate goal is to try to have the application react to a user's
"lag", it is my understanding that the ping approach is not reliable.  Ping
uses ICMP, which could very well take a different route to get to your
machine than the player's TCP/IP data.  ICMP packets might also have
different priorities on routers along the way, even if they do take the same
route.

Hope this helps!

-Tavis