[DGD]objregd.c

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Wed Feb 21 05:19:23 CET 2001

 > You are right -- it can be used for any of these things.  The kernel
 > lib itself doesn't use it, but any larger mudlib can.

The uncompromising abstraction layer the kernel library imposes has
been vitally useful to me on several occasions, especially in regard
to this subject matter. Marrach, which is currently Skotos' one big
game, runs in the development uptime I started in May 1999; I can't
even begin to tell you what a beating that runtime system has taken
since then, how many desperate crawls through the linked lists of
objects I've done, repairing various data structures that were low-
level in -my- mudlib (/usr/System), but still floating high above
those per-owner linked lists.

I take so for granted that if all else fails, if all my book-keeping
code fails, there -is- still one way to track down every damn object
in the game, and that's those lists. I can't imagine living like in
the old days, where losing the last reference to an object really was
a distinct possibility...

Zell