[DGD]Persistence and Object Databases

S. Foley s_d_foley at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 26 01:56:55 CET 2001

Running a persistent/continuous mud makes issues that were once important
incredibly vital.  One such issue is object leakage.  By that I mean objects
that are out there floating around -- the kind of objects that would be
clean_up()'d as it were under MudOS.  In a persistent mud, one can imagine
all sorts of causes for this.

Now a well written object daemon will keep track of all objects and their
various relationships (inherited by, inheriting, clone of, etc.).
At least in theory.  But the object register daemon, partly, duplicates
information already contained in the dump and swap files.  That is to say
the dump and swap files are the ultimate authority on what objects exist and
their relationships to each other.

Now given the critical nature of this information--what objects exist, at
least--it might be nice to have some redundancy.  Is there any way to get
information directly from the ultimate authority (the dump and swap files)
such that any discrepencies that might crop up between it and the lib side
object register can be resolved from inside the lib?

Something like a kfun that returned a list of all existing objects?  Is
there a way to use status() to do this? (I don't see it offhand).  I
considered cycling through all existing files, but one can also envision
discrepencies arising between the dump/swap files and the mudlib source
code. (Someone moves/deletes a file shell side.)

How have other people addressed this issue?  Perhaps it's a non-issue?

--Steve Foley