[DGD]DGD and Melville

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Jan 11 21:41:09 CET 2001

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Nightlith wrote:
> But if living.c contains all the stat info for
> players and monsters, how would creation.c access those variables? Do I
> inherit living.c before creation.c?

I think so, yes. player.c would inherit both living.c and creation.c;
monsters would only inherit living.c.

There is an alternative, which is to have a daemon object which
would handle incoming connections, create a player body, set
the relevant data, then force the body to save itself. TMI-2
mudlib does it that way, for instance, and it's basically what
Chris Kaczor just suggested. The advantage of this method
is that you don't have to inherit the creation code (which
is very slightly wasteful) in the player body. The drawback
is that it is more complicated, harder for a new mudlib hacker
to read and understand, and raises some potential security
problems. I think the simplicity is worth the waste, but
the reverse view is certainly reasonable.

Steve