[DGD]Object properties from an extension

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Jul 6 01:55:00 CEST 2001

"Michael J. Bacon" <mj.bacon at gte.net> wrote:

> 	Ok, perhaps I am rubbing at this the wrong way.
>
> 	Lets say someone is crazy enough to try to implement persistence outside of
> DGD's statedump type persistence.  Say, we wanted to store and retreive
> object data from an OODBMS.
>
> 	Where would be the best place to hook into that?  Since I can't grab an
> object's data in a generic way, I am assuming I would instead have to define
> some routines on the auto object for registering object data that needs to
> be saved and restored?

I am going to give an answer depressingly similar to the one I gave before:
it's not possible yet, but it will be possible through an official API
at some time in the future.

I intend to make it possible to store mud state in a regular database
instead of a swapfile/dumpfile.  But I'm not going to define that interface
until after multi-processing support, sorry.

> 	Has anyone done anything like this?  I know that LPMOO redefines the
> statedump mechanism to include saving/restoring MOO data to and from a MOO
> database.  Could I use similar techiques?

Doable but very painful.  You would not be able to trust ordinary LPC
code anymore that might not save itself properly.