[DGD] parse_string

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Jul 25 21:26:02 CEST 2001

pete at ana.sk wrote:

>[...]
> First, it looks like there are some problems with parse_string when
> same grammar is used many times, and grammar tokens use '\0'
> character in them. This is not so important because i dont think it
> can match '\0', but i accidentaly used it in one grammar, and after
> few tryes it starts parsing badly. It does work ok few time though!
> So there may be some other problem that is just triggered by '\0'...

Could you post an example grammar where this problem occurs?  '\0'
should definitely be handled without trouble.

> But more serious thing, it would be good to have some predefined
> special token that matches only at string end. I really dont like to
> add '\1' or something like that to string end and use it in grammar.
> As far as i remeber what i have learned about grammars in school
> (its some years ago so i forgot most:) its normal for grammar have
> such token.

But where does a string end -- at spaces, punctuation, C whitespace,
non-ASCII characters, and last but not least, how about non-ASCII
character sets?  I didn't think that parse_string should have any
assumptions about this built into it.