[DGD]sprintf

Thomas Annandale thomas at boredatheist.com
Sun Jun 10 00:26:27 CEST 2001

I believe this has been brought up on this group before, but I think it's
important enough to bring it up again.  There is no sprintf functionality
for dgd.  Last time this issue was raised, I think the response was that
sprintf didn't really make sense in a language that had its own string
type.  Whether this is true or not, there is no way built into dgd to
easily format ints and floats, a lacking that I am currently finding very
troublesome.  I have been unable to find an implementation of sprintf (or
some other int/float formatter) either written in LPC or as a DGD
extension, and my attempts to try to write one myself have been very
frustrating (I am no expert C coder).  I know the DGD driver is supposed
to be "minimalistic," which is the reason why I like it an use it in the
first place, but don't you think that being able to control how your ints
and floats appear on the screen is basic enough to be covered under that
philosophy?

Again, if anyone can point me to a DGD extension or some LPC code that
implements sprintf or something else with the same functionality, I'd be
very grateful.  I know Dworkin said there was a sprintf implementation at
ftp.imaginary.com, but after searching the whole site, I was unable to
find it.

--
Thomas
www.boredatheist.com