[DGD]String sharing in DGD driver

Noah Lee Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Thu Jun 14 15:48:20 CEST 2001

  My understanding is that DGD does its swapping per-object.  That is, a
given compiled object or clone is either entirely swapped in or entirely
swapped out.  I further remember (I think) that string sharing is usually
done on swap-in, so if I were to read strings out of a file or dynamically
generate them, they'd only start to be shared after the object had been
swapped out and back in.
  Is there a good way to share a single value over a whole class of
objects?  For instance, I might wish to hold a single instance of a string
shared by every "/usr/System/obj/user" object so that they all change
when I modify it for one of them.  Or do I need to just hold it in some
other global manager for all the user objects to query?