[DGD]Arrays and call others

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Sat Jun 23 04:58:44 CEST 2001

 > I'm a little worried that making call others each time will be eating up
 > memory. Would it be better to make one call other setting arrays in the
 > function:
 >
 > (2)
 >
 > Rnames = current_object->query_reference_names();
 >
 > for (i = 0, sz = sizeof(rnames); i < sz; i++)
 > {
 >     if (rnames[i] == name_test)
 >     {
 >         return current_object;
 >     }
 > }

In practice, the time consumed by the call-other itself is probably
not such a big deal. But it's typically a good idea to store return
values in a variable, yes, especially if you do not have absolute
control over what may happen inside query_reference_names() in the
future. Maybe somebody will change its internal implementation in
such a way that it becomes a backwards compatiblity function going
at some sluggish pace? I've seen it happen.

You can obfuscate your code quite a bit if you like it small:

	if (sizeof(current_object->query_reference_names() &
                   ({ name_test })) != 0) {
		return current_object;
	}

Zell