[DGD]1.1 - 1.2 and Melville

Jason Murray linux_boy69 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:49:23 CET 2001

Hi there,

Several years ago a friend and I started running DGD with the simulated
2.4.5 library and over time made huge amounts of improvements and
changes--unfortunately, when we started we did not have a clear idea of what
we were doing so while it is rich in features it's horribly slopped
together.

We are planning to start over from scratch anyway, but I was curious about
migrating from the 1.1 series to 1.2 series (I know there has to be several
folks in a similiar situation... Albion MUD comes to mind). Has DGD changed
so much that it forces massive amounts of changes to the mudlib beyond
adding an atomic error handler? I have not looked deeply into 1.2 at all, or
any of DGD for almost two years now, but just by reading over the changelog,
it seems that "backwards compatibility" is largely not an issue.

I think making another strain of Melville work on top of the kernel lib
would be greatly beneficial to loads of folks, myself included. Just like it
must have been helpful when it was/is the only alternative to the simulated
2.4.5 lib, except maybe DGDMOO or whatever that was.

Last year I created a stupid little chat room on top of the kernel lib in
order to learn it a little better, but I am sure I went about it in
completely the wrong way. Although I followed the instructions, it just felt
wrong. A little guidance would be great.

I've babbled away my short break.

Bye,
Jason