[DGD]Auto object

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri May 11 05:14:52 CEST 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Erwin Harte wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 04:30:53PM -0400, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> > Question: If one is writing a system to run over the kernel lib,
> > and one wants a program to be inherited by every object in the
> > system (ie, everything in /usr/System, or perhaps better, everything
> > in /usr), how does one do that?

> There's a built-in solution for this in the kernel-lib itself. :-)

Figured there had to be :)

> Documentation of this feature can be found in
>
>   dgd/mud/doc/kernel/hook/driver
>
> read the section regarding set_object_manager and in particular the
> part about include_special().

Found it, I think. There is no include_special(). I presume
that path_special() was intended?

If I understand the docs right, I create an object manager
(probably /usr/System/objectd.c or /usr/System/sys/objectd.c),
and it defines the function path_special(). If path_special()
is called, and the string argument begins with "/usr/System",
then I have path_special return - it's not exactly clear what.
Do I return "/usr/System/lib/my_auto", or is it understood
about /usr/System and I just return "lib/my_auto"? I'll try
it both ways and see what happens. If the string argument
begins with anything else, I return nil.

Then, I put the line

# include "AUTO"

in the "standard" include file. What is the "standard" include
file? Is that something in the kernel which already has that
line? Or is it something I have to put in a file outside the
kernel? In that case, which file do I put it in?

Also, can I use the line

#include "AUTO"

instead, or is the space critical?

Steve