[DGD]Auto object

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat May 12 02:13:20 CEST 2001

Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu> wrote:

>[...]
> 1) Why is an object whose creator is System not included in
> the objects where path_special() is invoked?

Let's suppose that /usr/System/sys/objectd.c is supposed to be
compiled with the include file that contains the inherit statement.
Do you see a problem here...? :-)

> 2) Will all objects in /usr/System be similarly bypassed?
> I think so, but I'm not sure. The source suggests that any
> file in /kernel or in /usr/System will be deemed "System"
> by creator(). That seems Wrong - should one not be able to
> distingiush between those two classes of objects?

For the purpose of path_special(), no.  System objects are too
exceptional to automatically inherit a second-level auto object.

> If 2) is right, then I'm back to including the file in all objects
> in /usr/System by hand, which'll be a good 75-100 of them. I can
> do that but it seems Wrong.

You've been putting far too much in /usr/System.  Most of this should
probably be in /lib, /sys, /obj, or in some directory I haven't thought
of yet.  Since objects not in /kernel or /usr have very restricted
file and object permissions, some of it should perhaps be in
/usr/Melville.

>From what you've told us so far, I see a need for 3 objects in
/usr/System: initd.c, sys/objectd.c and lib/auto.c.