[DGD]Auto object

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat May 12 02:39:49 CEST 2001

I wrote:

>[...]
> You've been putting far too much in /usr/System.  Most of this should
> probably be in /lib, /sys, /obj, or in some directory I haven't thought
> of yet.  Since objects not in /kernel or /usr have very restricted
> file and object permissions, some of it should perhaps be in
> /usr/Melville.
>
> From what you've told us so far, I see a need for 3 objects in
> /usr/System: initd.c, sys/objectd.c and lib/auto.c.

All right, I was being too minimalist here.  You also need a telnet
connection manager and a user object in /usr/System.

So, what should be in which directory?  Objects outside of /kernel and
/usr cannot do file operations or create objects, so I would suggest
something like the following:

/sys		contains stateless "daemon" objects
/lib		contains inheritables that are useful to all wizards
/obj		contains clonables that are useful to all wizards
/usr/Melville	contains the first few rooms of the mudlib; rooms must
		be able to create other objects such as monsters, and
		therefore should be inside /usr.

Alternatively, you could directories such as create /melville/sys,
/melville/lib, etc.

You may find a need for other objects in /usr/System, but you should
only put objects in there if such a need exists.  Any object in
/usr/System can write anywhere except in /kernel, can create objects
that are owned by any other user, and can destruct any object that
is not in /kernel.  The more objects you have in /usr/System, the
more objects you have to check for possible security holes.