[DGD]inherit_list

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Sat May 19 17:06:46 CEST 2001

 > The other thing I could do is hook into inherit_program in the driver
 > and keep my own inherit list, but that seems like a bit of a mess.

That is precisely the thing to do. It's not a "mess" at all, it is
a very elegant solution, but it -is- a bit of an undertaking to get
all the kinks worked out.

 > I see in an old mail from Dworkin that he recommended keeping an
 > inherit list database in the mudlib.
 > Is that still recommended?

Yes.

 > I would expect that DGD knows the inherit chain already - wouldn't it
 > be more efficient to be able to ask the driver, rather than track it
 > yourself?

Probably, but DGD is still a minimalist design. If it can be done
quickly and well in LPC, why clutter up the driver?

 > And on a separate issue, why does the kernel lib require that you have
 > write access to an object to compile it?
 > It would appear to be a read operation? Why write?

It "reads" the source file, but it certainly modifies the object. :-)

Zell