[DGD]Rlimits, securtiy and close function

mtaylor mtaylor at ntlworld.com
Sat May 26 04:07:53 CEST 2001

> Thanks very much! That's much clearer to me now :)
>
> Matt
>

>>> I have a little question regarding inherits and includes.... It's probably
>>> going to seem really dumb but here goes:
>>
>> No, it sounds perfectly sensible.
>> (ie, the questions you're asking are good questions to ask)
>>
>>> The way I understand it (and I may embarrass myself by being totally wrong)
>>
>>> when you include a file into a file you are effectively copying the code in
>>
>>> the include file into your other file.
>>
>> Pretty much.
>> There some tiny differences (like the error messages will point you to the
>> correct
>> line in the ".h" file), but the don't really effect the outcome of your
>> question.
>>

>>> When you inherit a file does it do the same thing?
>>
>> No.
>> You don't technically inherit a file.
>> You inherit a program.
>> The program is defined by a file containing LPC code, but
>>  inherit "/usr/darkcide/frobnaz" ;
>> doesn't actually mean to inherit the file, it means to inherit the program
>> that
>> is produced by compiling that file.
>>
>>> For example if I inherit
>>> file Y in file Z is it the same as writing all the code in the
>>> Y file into my Z file.
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> Or does it make a reference to the functions in Y.
>>
>> Yes (more or less)
>>
>>> Each command file inherits tools.c
Dear list ...

Another set of questions from me ;)

We have built our mudlib by looking at melville, 2.4.5 and the kernel with
the DGD driver so we are learning as we go. Everything seems to be fine and
working well but I am unsure of a few things.

Firstly I am having a problem with the close() function. We have a player.c
which holds all the information for the Players Character (name, stats etc)
and also the functions that deal with the connection stuff. Is this a bad
idea? I've noticed that other mudlibs have a user.c and player.c - one holds
the connection functions and one the functions for that player's character
in the world.
Now if I have a close function in the player.c I have two big problems. One
is that if I call destruct_object(this_object()) then it says Too many
arguments for function close.
The second is that if I close the Mud Client I have without a quit command
(I.e. I close the Mud Client program) then the DGD driver crashes.

If I have no close command then it's fine ... *confused*

Also I have a quit command that gives a goodbye message and then destructs
the player object. However the message doesn't get shown ... The user is
just disconnected ... What am I doing wrong?

Lastly and most amusingly I wonder about rlimits. There doesn't seem to be
any documentation on what you need in your mudlib to satisfy the DGD Driver
and so we are working it out as we go along. Looking at other mudlibs and
error messages. So far we haven't put any rlimit stuff anywhere. I don't
really understand about stacks and ticks etc. at all.
Also security ... So far we don't really have any security checks on
anything. What should we do about this?

Is there anywhere (or anyone) where I can find out about this stuff. I know
we can do it ... It's just we need a point in the right direction ;)

Thanks in advance

Matt Taylor