[DGD] Diferences between telnet and binary connections

J Child askrius at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 07:29:15 CET 2001

--- Erwin Harte <harte at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 05:13:42AM +0100, Arnau
> Rossell? Castell? wrote:
> > Hello to everybody.
> >
> > I've been meddling with DGD for some time and
> getting
> > myself familiar with it while having some fun, and
> > have to say it's an impressive piece of code,
> although
> > the (lack of)documentation makes learning it a bit
> of
> > try and error.
> >
> > Well my question was about the binary and telnet
> connec-
> > tion types. What are exactly the differences
> between
> > them?
> > I know that the telnet link filters all below
> ascii
> > 32, and i suppose it will also do some telnet
> "things",
> > but haven't seen anywhere wich ones does it do.
> Any help
> > will be appreciated. :)
>
> I'd say the most important bit (to me) is that it
> handles the turning
> on/off of echoing back of the input, so that your
> client knows not to
> show your input when you are on the mud-side of
> things entering a
> password or something else that you don't want
> visible to others on
> your screen.

Indeed. The binary port also enables you to send
datagrams. This can be useful if you were to say,
implement an http server off of that port. A datagram
doesnt require a constant communication with the host
(unlike a tcp conection, ie telnet). Thus, we use
cookies for keeping track of users via the web because
their browser isnt in constant contact with us. They
request it, we post it :)

Some drivers, such as MudOS, allow the use of "LPC
Sockets". I am not too sure how well these work, but I
have seen httpdaemons built on them. Not too sure if
DGD does or not (wouldnt bet on it; dgd seems to go
for that "slim" and "powerful" look :), as I am in day
three of "getting to know DGD".

~Askrius