[DGD] Segmentation Fault

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 1 04:24:18 CEST 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 09:14:55PM -0400, Thomas Conner Annandale wrote:
> I've been having seg faults (and lost data) due to kfun extensions that
> I've written.  Do you think you could make dgd install a signal handler
> for SIGSEGV that makes it output a dump file when a crash occurs?  Or is
> there a way to do this already?

A DGD statedump would be a problem, if DGD crashes on a SEGV then
obviously something internal is messed up and making a consistent
statedump is going to be an interesting exercise.

As for core dumps, check your 'ulimit/limit' settings, which will look
somewhat like this:

    # ulimit -a
    core file size (blocks)     0
    data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
    file size (blocks)          unlimited
    max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
    max memory size (kbytes)    unlimited
    open files                  1024
    pipe size (512 bytes)       8
    stack size (kbytes)         8192
    cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
    max user processes          16344
    virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

You want to change the 'core file size (blocks)' one to unlimited or
another big enough number so that a core dump would not be truncated
but still stopped from filling up your harddisk if something gets way
out of control.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--