[DGD] Hope someone can help

mtaylor mtaylor at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 11 02:02:57 CEST 2001

Okay here goes ...

I'm not sure if anyone will have time (or inclination) to answer this one.
Basically I am not an experienced coder, I dabble enough to write decent
well commented, but simple, stuff.

I really like the DGD driver. After a lot of work our team have managed to
build a MudLib for DGD (it's about half done) and we are concerned we don't
know enough about a few things and this could cause problems at some point.

I'll be totally honest, I often don't understand the list mails ;) So if
anyone out there with a kind heart, eloquent tongue and ability to simplify
things enough for a REAL newbie ... We'd love to hear from you.

We are running our system on a Mac. We don't use the Kernel Lib at all.
We've built from scratch. We are building a fantasy based Mud (no yawns
please *grin*).

We have version 1.2.

So what do we want to know.

It's mainly to do with memory and persistence of DGD.

The way we understand it is that as more and more objects are loaded more
and more memory is taken up. So for example as more rooms are explored they
are stored in memory. I'm assuming after a while this will be too much for
the comp. And the mud will crash? I've seen the swap out function but not
really sure how to use it and how it works.

We want our mud to be persistent (run as long as possible without reboots
etc.) so that people could plant a seed and in a while it would grow into a
tree etc.

Could someone explain about memory and swap outs and what we need to do?

Same sort of thing with r-limits ... Don't know what they are and how to use
them and couldnĀ¹t find anything simple enough for my mind ;)

We're also wondering how to 'save' our mud so that if a crash occurs we
don't lose too much time. Any help on that?

If anyone can point me in the direction of some good code examples or
documents that would be great.

In fact if someone were to take a look at our code, maybe they could advise
us on improvements or whether it just won't work.

Thanks in advance, please please please help ...

Matt Taylor

P.s. Sorry to all the great coders out there who see this email and sigh ;)