[DGD] Hope someone can help

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:33:57 CEST 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Par Winzell wrote:
> Specifically, it looks at the 'swap fragment'
> integer in your configuration file. Somewhat simplified, if there are
> 10,000 objects currently NOT swapped out, and your swap fragment is 10,
> DGD will swap out 1,000 of those objects. That's way too many -- it'd
> completely saturate your disk I/O -- so if your Mud is so large that
> you have 10,000 objects swapped in, your swap fragment should not be
> something like 10. A large game will have a fragment of 2048 or so --
> though the sensible value depends on many other factors as well.

Just so I understand the swap fragment: If the swap fragment is N,
then at swap time, DGD will swap out 100/N percent of the objects
in memory? A swap fragment of 10 swaps out 100/10 = 10%, and a swap
fragment of 2048 presumably swaps out 100/2048 = 0.5% of the objects
in memory? Subject to the same caveats about this being a somewhat
simplified discussion, and so forth.

Steve