[DGD] Hope someone can help

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:55:51 CEST 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Par Winzell wrote:
> I also think trying to write a -game- rather than a MUD operating
> system (which half the people on this list have done) is a lovely
> change of priorities, and I hereby cheer you on wildly.

Me too! Me too!

> Unfortunately you've chosen not to use the kernel lib,
> which is the single piece of software generally available that will
> try to do some of these tasks for you. :)

Partial disclaimer: Melville will do at least some of them
for you. It will not do them as well as I wish it could,
because I am also one of those non-computer people (economist
in my case) who keeps up with the technicalities as best I
can, which isn't always very well. But it does impose rlimits
on calls, and it can handle dumping and restarting from the
state dump. It's not been extensively tested on the latter;
bug reports would be most appreciated.

I completely concur with Par's earlier point:

> > I suggest the only way you can make a large persistent fantasy
> > Mud is to hook up with a developer who is willing to really dig
> > into these complex issues -- especially if you're not doing it
> > with the kernel library.

and note that even if you switch to the kernel lib, you'll need
someone who can integrate your game code into the kernel lib,
which is a nontrivial task. DGD is, IMHO, suffering from the
lack of such a person who could write a game-oriented lib that
would handle these things well. (I lack the skills, personally.)

Steve