[DGD] Could it work...

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Mon Sep 17 19:35:10 CEST 2001

>>I'm sure I've missed loads but I wasn't entirely sure why the kernel lib was
>>so important to use. The above does seem tricky but doesn't sound
>>impossible. With looking at the kernel I'm sure we can work it out seeing as
>>that's how we've coded the connection stuff etc. so far.
>>Or am I being dim?
>>
> I think the point people are trying to make is that very careful thought
> has gone into making the kernel lib, and by using the kernel lib, you are
> saved from doing a lot of trial-and-error attempts at your own 'kernel
> lib'.  Especially if one is not terribly interested in the knitty-gritty
> details, that's where I'd assume the kernel lib helps; at least that's the
> point I think Par was

That's pretty much it. You have to ask yourself, how much of what the
kernel library gives me do I need? And if that amount is large enough,
then you need to question if it is realistic to believe you can -save-
effort by -not- using it.

If you are going for a truly persistent Mud, i.e. you plan on rebooting
only from state dumps once your Mud is up and running, then you -have-
to either use the kernel library, or reimplement much of what it does.
That is a non-trivial undertaking, to say the least.

Going persistent is a big deal. When you're persistent, you realize, you
will never again cold-start your game. You never again get to feel like
you're cleaning away all the old cobwebs. If you clone an object and you
lose track of the clone, it's going to stay with you for eternity. If
you compile a program and forget where it is, it'll stay compiled and
forgotten forever. Crap builds up. If you make a terrible error a year
into your Mud's uptime, an error that causes you not to be able to log
in, you're screwed -- you have to go back to a saved statedump from a
few days earlier, or if you didn't save any, lose all your state.

If Matt wants to avoid all this complexity, he should not try for the
persistence right now. It cannot be overstated what a difference this
makes. Save inventories and vital player data to file, perhaps using the
trusy old save_object() and restore_object(). Worry about persistence in
a few years. You really don't want to go for persistence as your first
project.

Zell