[DGD] Could it work...

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 22 17:54:59 CEST 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:43:05AM +0100, Matt Taylor wrote:
[...]

I guess the politeness kicked in and anyone able to answer was waiting
for one of the others to get a turn at it. ;-)

> (1) Some sort of object manager to keep track of compiled objects and their
> clones so they are not lost.

And to track inheritance so that if you want to recompile object A
which is inherited by B and C, you will know what to do.

> (2) Some sort of r-limits applied. This would be on call-outs,
> receive-message and open, close? I couldn't understand why open/close would
> need r-limits though :(

Because they are also starts of so-called 'threads'.

> (3) Resource management. So that, as you mentioned, someone doesn't take the
> game down with 60000 clones of an object.

Or an exponential amount of call_out()s. :)

> (4) State dumping and restarts from state-dump for crashes etc.
>
> But I can't think of any more. Perhaps I am being Dr. Dim so I would
> appreciate help (cheeky I know, seeing as you guys have been so helpful
> already) :)

I think those are the basics, yes.  For (1) you will need some work to
make it more useful in a persistent situation even if you -do- use the
kernel-lib but it already takes care of a lot of the lower-level bits
if you do, making life easier as was its intention.

Regards,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at xs4all.nl>