[DGD] [Melville] non-static mappings

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 7 00:15:40 CET 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:07:43AM +0100, Mikael Lind wrote:
[...]
> >   map = ([ ob1: 1,
> >            2:   ob2 ]);
> >
> > Now, if either ob1 or ob2 gets destroyed, the relevant index:value
> > pair in the mapping will disappear.
>
> Is this really true for ob1, though? I would have thought that when
> ob1 is destructed, it would be replaced by nil, which is a valid
> mapping index. So, with both ob1 and ob2 destructed, map would be
> ([ nil: 1 ]).

It's true for ob1 as well.  You could use this feature to easily keep
track of the online players by having a map from <connection-object>
to '1' and only update it when someone (re)enters the game.  If
someone logs out or loses his/her/its link the mapping will
automatically be cleaned out, so less effort there.

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at xs4all.nl>