[DGD] Second auto and kfuns

Noah Lee Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Sun Feb 10 09:59:08 CET 2002

I know you can, with the Kernel MUDLib, define a "second AUTO" by saying
"inherit AUTO" in the /include/std.h file.  I originally saw it as
"#include AUTO", but I'm assuming that inheritance will do a similar
trick.

Either way, I'm curious whether you're allowed to have a second AUTO that
modifies or overrides functions from the first AUTO.  Obviously nomask
functions can't be touched, but could you add simple "find_object" and
"destruct_object" commands that allow objects to be found with a new kind
of string specifier, for instance?

I haven't had any luck doing this the obvious way and just adding a
find_object call in the second AUTO, but I might just be messing something
up...  I'm also testing it currently using regular inheritance, and I
don't know if inheritance of the path_special is somehow -- well --
special :-)

Also, if a program explicitly does an "inherit AUTO", will that be seen
and handled by path_special in the objectd?  If not, I guess you could
still do security by just making sure to forbid_inherit() people doing
that illegally...

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://www.angelbob.com/projects/DGD_Page.html"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!