[DGD] Heaven 7 Conversion

David Jackson araborn at home.com
Thu Jan 3 03:19:26 CET 2002

> It seems odd that I only resubscribed to this list 2 hours ago and that
> this is the first message.  Perhaps my ears were burning ...

It is indeed a small world.  I had never thought to actually get in touch
with a person referenced sideways in an old README file.

<SNIPPED>

> Anyway, I hate to be negative, but I spent several years on this path
> and after a break for the last year or so have decided to start again,
> this time from scratch ;)  If you really want H7 but want something more
> stable than Amylaar, go with LDMud.  It's fairly simple to get that
> driver working with it.
>
> On the positive side, converting H7 to DGD could be used as a learning
> experience as many of the design flaws within the lib aren't immediately
> obvious, as I found out ;)  I don't have the time to list all the issues
> I had, but if you do decide to go ahead with this, feel free to contact
> me when you get stumped.  Chances are I've hit the problem before.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil, aka Sarak.

I thank you for the candid advice.  I had already begun to fear that I was
taking on more than I would be able to handle, given my time-frame.

I do want to use the H7 lib, but primarily because it "feels like an LPMUD",
and most of the work that I would have done, has already been done.  The
choice of driver was really out of an irrational loyalty to Dworkin, more
than any particular feature set.

So, this changes my goal - I still want to re-write and release the HTTP
daemon for general use with DGD (I want to use DGD as a web server, but I
lose any interprocess communication by also not using DGD as the driver for
my MUD).  I am going to use LDMUD or Amylaar as the driver for the MUD.

Ah well.

David