[DGD] Http daemon

Chris Kaczor chris at kaczorzoo.net
Sun Jan 6 15:31:52 CET 2002

You can never be certain there is only one player per IP address.  With a
NAT setup like Internet Connection Sharing in Windows you can have many
players with the same IP.

I have this situation here at home - I have a local LAN with one machine
sharing the Internet connection to two others.  When the other two machines
connect to the same MUD both players have the IP address of the machine
doing the sharing.  With more computers in the LAN there could even be more
than two.  My wife and I often get accused of multiplaying by people that
don't understand this.

Cookies are the way to tell them apart because each "client" would maintain
its own cookie to the server.  It would go something like this:

1)  Client connects to the server and sends an empty cookie
2)  The server sends back a valid ID back with the response
3)  The client stores this ID in a cookie (or just in memory)
4)  The next time the client sends a request it sends along the ID in the
cookie
5)  The server uses the ID in the cookie to uniquely identify the session

Since the two clients each maintain their own cookie you can tell them
apart.