[DGD] Lightweight objects, arrays and copying

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Jan 9 15:14:58 CET 2002

Noah Lee Gibbs <angelbob at monkeyspeak.com> wrote:

>[...]
>   The lightweight objects contain object members that point to each
> other, which is fine since they're all sitting inside the same regular
> object.  They contain arrays of references to each other, so they're full
> of circular references.  That's fine, I can break all the circular
> references prior to MUD shutdown so there shouldn't be any problem with
> garbage collection.

There never is a problem with garbage collection.  DGD handles that, no
matter if the LWO structures are self-referential.

>   My question (other than -- is all the above stuff true?) is whether the
> bag object with all its LWOs will have to be swapped in all at once.  If
> it gets very big, will that be a serious problem?

Yes.  It is a good idea to distribute a very large amount of data across
several persistent objects.

There are more reasons for partitioning your data.  Once multi-processor
support goes in, DGD will handle 100 threads which each make a modification
to one of 1000 persistent objects much more easily than 100 threads all
modifying the same object.