[DGD] Recompilation

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Jan 20 20:30:44 CET 2002

Noah Lee Gibbs <angelbob at monkeyspeak.com> wrote:

> Say you have a clonable type /obj/A, which inherits from /lib/B.  /lib/B,
> in turn, inherits from /lib/D.  It looks like this:
>
> A <-- B <-- D
>
> If I recompile D, then B, then A, everything will be great and A will pick
> up D's new behavior.

Here recompiling has to mean "destruct and compile" for D and B, and
"compile without destructing" for A.

> If I compile just D then A, will it?

If you don't recompile B, A would still inherit the old D through the
unchanged B.  However, the kernel library will automatically destruct
and compile B in this situation.  Thus, if you only wanted to make a
change to D, you only need to destruct D and then recompile A -- the
kernel library will automatically make sure that D is compiled, and
that B is destructed and compiled, during the recompilation of A.

> How about B
> then D then A?

If you destruct and compile B, and then destruct and compile D, B will
still inherit the old issue of D.  However, for the reasons outlined
above, B will be automatically destructed and compiled once more in this
situation.