[DGD] Kernel Questions

Neil McBride neil at castinian.org
Tue Jan 22 03:37:22 CET 2002

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand some of the logic in the kernel library at the
moment and I'm a little stuck on part of the login process.

In testing the grant/ungrant command to see how it all works, I carried
out the following: -

As admin user: grant bob access
                ungrant bob access

Bob had never logged in before, so I would have expected this to give
bob access and then immediately remove it again.  However, when I went
to log in as bob, it asked me for a password twice to set it, logged bob
in and cloned him a wiztool.  Even if bob had logged in before, I would
expect his access to be removed.

I thought this was a bit odd so I played with it a bit further.  I found
that although bob didn't have any access as per the access daemon, he
was still able to read all the world readable files (expected), but
could also write to his home directory (/usr/bob), and most suprisingly
was able to delete directories from /usr if they were empty, even
/usr/admin.

I dug further again to find out what determined whether or not a user
was given a wiztool.  The user object's login function bases this on
whether or not the resource daemon has the user listed as a resource
owner (query_owners).  If the user is a resource owner, then they are
given a wiztool and then a password.  This I don't like as I removed the
user's access via the ungrant command.

 From all this, I have two questions - I'm still working out how the
kernel object all hangs together so they may or may not be obvious ;)

First, why doest he user object check for resource owners to grant the
wiztool access?  Shouldn't it be based on the file access or a mixture
of the two?

My second question is about the file access that the bob user was given
- I'm assuming he wasn't supposed to be able to write to his home dir,
or delete other empty home directories.  If this is not the case, then I
guess it's working fine and I don't understand the logic here - could
someone explain if that is that case?  I suspect this is a minor bug
though - could be wrong ;)

Any thoughts and insights would be appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Neil.