[DGD] 1.2.36

Michael J. Bacon mj.bacon at gte.net
Wed Jan 30 16:24:07 CET 2002

	Sorry about including too much text in my question... I sometimes hit send
before trimming... :-)

> There are many different ways to design a distributed server.  Could you
> be a bit more explicit about the feature you are requesting?  If it is
> something akin to RMI, I should caution you that that is not a
particularly
> efficient design.

	Basically I would like to be able to carve an area up and give the parts to
different servers so that load can be managed.  Each "instance" should still
be able to see the master list of objects and sometimes, when necessary,
make "RMI like" calls to pass information back and forth between objects on
different servers or different "instances" on the same server.

	In a perfectly ideal world the driver would see which areas were overloaded
and shift load accordingly.

	I can see that many of these "features" should probably be implemented at
the mudlib level, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on such an
arrangement, and if you think any driver level tools could be created (or
already exist) to make the job easier.  This is for a graphical MUD so
client-connection switching features should already be implementable.

Thanks;
Michael.