[DGD] driver / config file

Noah Lee Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Thu Jan 31 05:47:14 CET 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Johann N. Schmidt wrote:
> i won't patch. just were curious how you see things. you probably have
> a reason not to enable such functions.

  Dworkin routinely discards things because they can be implemented easily
with current functionality.  Given his focus on security and robustness, I
consider that an eminently reasonable viewpoint.

> with "far more elegant" i ment that it is quite more elegant to have
> a function returning "auto object is blah" instead of letting the program
> compile, check if blah is inherited, and destruct otherwise. or do i
> miss a method to implement it?

  Hrm.  Good question.  I'd thought that the path_special hook in the
objectd (Kernel MUDLib) was for that, but it seems only to get called with
an explicit "#include AUTO".  At least, my log messages aren't happening.

  There's a kind of nasty hack that comes to mind involving converting
compile_objects on a file to ones that use the kind with a string
afterwards.  You could slap an "inherit XXX" on the front and use this
trick...
  Not sure if there's an easier way offhand.  I *do* seem to recall this
coming up on the mailing list way back when, so it's probably archived.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://www.angelbob.com/projects/DGD_Page.html"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!