[DGD] call_out question

Jay Shaffstall jshaffst at netwalk.com
Sun Jul 14 19:56:28 CEST 2002

I'm having trouble getting my mind around exactly what happens with
call_out, so here are a few questions I hope someone can answer:

1) If I use call_out with a delay of 0, the docs say that the function "is
to be called as soon as possible after termination of the current
thread".  If input from users has been waiting, will it all be processed
before the call_out?  Can a call_out be starved if users continue to send
input?

2) The docs also say "The returned value is the callout handle, an
integer > 0 which must be used if the callout is to be removed".  I'm not
sure under what circumstances I should remove a call_out.  I'm assuming a
call_out only happens once, unless inside it I do another call_out.  When
should a call_out be removed?

Thanks,
Jay