[DGD] New to List - Some questions

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Tue Mar 19 07:15:27 CET 2002

>>I want to know if DGD
>>can do exactly what I want, which is to make a real-time multi-user game
>>for which portions of said game can be accessed and interacted with using
>>a web browser as well as a telnet client. Does that make any sense?
>

> I've looked fairly seriously at this. The short answer is yes, except
> that the web browser interface has some serious limits. Standard
> html will not allow push technology, and MUD type games need it
> to implement "tell" and "say" commands, and to display the results
> of one user's actions to the other users.

It may be that Mr. Assassin is picturing both a browser and a telnet
interface open at once, working in unison. Skotos games do this to
varying extents. DGD has no trouble whatsoever doing this, of course;
writing a HTTP/1.0 server in LPC is a substantial but quite managable
undertaking, we all know how to do telnet, and tying the two together is
typically a matter of cookie authentications and a shared user-object
space of some kind.

Zell