[DGD] New to List - Some questions

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Tue Mar 19 20:24:20 CET 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Deathdog The Assassin wrote:
> > 3) I mentioned doing development, but I'm stuck with figuring out how to
> > actually use this thing.... where do I start?
>
> First decision you need to make is whether you want to build a
> mudlib completely from scratch, or build on top of the kernel.
> There is a great deal to be said for building over the kernel,
> but speaking as someone who's trying to do it himself, it's
> quite difficult. Docs do not exist in any great quantity.

  Nope.  On principle, though, I'll again recommend my page at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/Kernel", a set of tutorials for
building on top of the Kernel MUDLib, including basic "getting
started" and a couple of projects letting you extend your MUDLib.

> It is on my task list to write
> some docs on how to do it, but I have to learn how first :)

  If you make your docs public domain, I'll also happily shuffle their
content into my existing stuff :-)

> If you are not building over the kernel, best bet is to study
> the existing libs, including Phantasmal (which I'm not familiar
> with) and Melville (which I am), the latter having at least
> some documentation and internal comments which may help.

  Phantasmal definitely makes a point of documenting things.  The Kernel
MUDLib tutorials above were initially the result of Phantasmal's early
stages.  It has diverged since then, but most of the concepts are very
applicable.

> > Will  DGD allow me to code, from the ground up, a complete multi-user system,
> > tailored exactly how I want
>
> Pretty much yes.

  Given that DGD is basically a sockets-based net server and language
environment, this is a little like asking the same question about your C
compiler.  Yes, you can build anything you feel like.  Unfortunately,
you'll need to code it all since it's not automatically
included.  Fortunately, the language doesn't have any nasty limits to
prevent you doing exactly that.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!