[DGD] Printing out nil?

Jay Shaffstall jshaffst at netwalk.com
Thu Mar 21 16:43:16 CET 2002

I have a crash that happens when I try to print out the value of a variable
that's nil.  This is using version 1.2p1 of DGD, as I've had trouble
getting sources compiled on my machine to use the later versions.

The code is of the form:

	string str;

	...do some things, str may or may not get set to a valid string...

	send_message ("String is : " + str);

This crashes DGD.  My questions:

1) Is it illegal to concatenate a nil reference onto a string, or might I
have another problem entirely?

2) I would have expected the nil reference to be replaced in the string
concatenation with something like "(nil)".  Is that supposed to happen, or
do I need to wrap all such possible nil references with conditionals to get
that sort of output?

Thanks,
Jay