[DGD] Running a DGD mud on Linux

Noah Lee Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Thu Apr 3 19:28:22 CEST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Jay Shaffstall wrote:
> I'm about ready to start a 24/7 beta test of my DGD mudlib,

  Congratulations!  I like linking these things on my site, so when you'd
like to be added to the "MUDLibs" or "MUDs Running DGD" sections, let me
know.

> This is, however, my first time at running a
> mud under Linux.  Can anyone suggest any places to look for more
> information on what all needs to be done?

  Downloading CircleMUD and looking at their system is good :-).  Running
a watchdog process like you mentioned is reasonable but not mandatory.
One alternative is to have your MUD write a file periodically and have
that file linked from a web server -- "MUD is alive and healthy at 7:37
pm, Tuesday the 13th of August with four people logged in" or something
like that.  CthulhuMUD used to do a variant on that, though the current
version doesn't (or else the site doesn't link it).  You can do the same
thing more directly if your MUD server runs an httpd :-)

  Mainly what you need is a little script to run the MUD and re-run it if
it crashes (less mandatory in DGD).  If you look at CircleMUD, they do a
good job of that.  Of course, they also need to worry more about crashes
:-)

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!