[DGD] DGD and the static keyword

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Apr 15 13:11:13 CEST 2003

Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Hi!  I just wanted to get a definite opinion on
> something.
>
>   DGD doesn't allow the static keyword to be used with
> local variables, right?  A quick trial suggested this
> was the case.

That is correct.

>   I don't have any specific need for static locals,
> I'm just documenting this feature and I want to be
> sure I'm doing it right.

Supposing that it would be, what do you expect static to mean in that
context?  I'm curious.

Static global variables are something of a hack.  It does not have any
meaning in the LPC language, it only affects how save_object() works.
And save_object(), with its unbalanced grip on the inner object, is
a bit of a hack itself.  When I finally write the complete LPC
documentation, I will mention static variables in a footnote.