[DGD] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Ben Chambers bjchamb at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 10 07:18:44 CEST 2003

I know both well, and have arguments both ways.  Which language would be
better to use when developing a MUD from scratch?

Java

+ Open Source Tools available (especially JUnit, for testing)

+ Common Language with more easily available support

-  Less support available explicitly for MUDs

+ Library already includes Web Server and a Random Number Generator that
supports normally distributed numbers (something I would have to add to LPC
one way or another)

+ Better syntax for objects (in my opinion, the C++/Java object system is
much cleaner than the one used in LPC)

- Possibly slower?

LPC

+ Designed explicitly for a MUD Server

+ Gives persistence for free

-  Not as supported in general, although more resources are available for
MUD design.

+ Possibly Faster?

Are there any points for either of the two that I missed?  Which of the
points that I put in there aren't really significant?  Which language would
you recommend?

-- Ben