[DGD] Re: Java or LPC (DGD)?

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Sun Aug 10 19:55:23 CEST 2003

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 01:30:44PM -0400, Ben Chambers wrote:
[...]
> It is a more standard syntax and as such has been tested and tried to a
> greater extent.

A few questions for you to research:
- How old is C.
- How old is LPC.
- How old is Java.

Follow-up question:
- Which syntax do you think is more standard, tested, and tried?

[...]
> > - Java is multi-threaded
> Java is only multi-threaded if you code it right, so this is a minor issue,
> especially since it is my understanding that DGD is headed in this direction
> anyways.

And DGD will only be multi-threaded if you code it right.  You can
make multi-threaded support be pointless in -any- language, really.

[...]
> problem when you try to upgrade an object while the system is running?  It
> is true that this could be a problem in Java, but since DGD is written in
> C++ and has managed to solve this problem, it should be possible to solve
> it, although it may be more difficult.

The language used to implement DGD has absolutely nothing to do with
how it implements its persistent system.  If Dworkin had felt like it
he could've done the same thing in BASIC, I'm sure.

> > - Java has more basic datatypes (for example, different integer types)
> For a Mud this shouldn't be an issue, should it?

I've seen situations where the standard (32 bit wide) integer was too
small.  With recent DGD I'd probably have suggested to use the asn_*
kfuns to work around that, but it would still not be as smooth as just
being able to use +, -, * and / on integer values.

> > - Java's error handling is more fine-grained; DGD has atomic error
> >   handling
> How exactly does DGD's error handling work?  I couldn't make a decision on
> which was better without a better understanding of what you mean by "DGD has
> atomic error handling"

Read up on 'atomic', 'catch' and 'error'.

Cheers,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>