[DGD] Java or LPC (DGD)?

Sampsa Ranta sampsa at netsonic.fi
Sun Aug 17 09:23:39 CEST 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Tavis Elliott wrote:

> I wrote:

> > [..snip..]
> >
> > + Java VM could be used to simulate DGD driver under special Classloader
> > and compiler mapping the code to Java bytecode (maybe with proxies or
> > direct bytecode to support multible inheritance) but not vice versa.
> > DGD driver itself is smart but not too complex features to re-implement
> > on as-is base. It seems it has been written under goal like "keep it
> > simple". However such simulation would still have to be single threading
> > if it is going to be 1:1 simulation.
> > - DGD cannot simulate Java
> >

> To weigh in on the bytecode update issue (Java has also been my primary
> development language for quite some time) ... I would advise checking into
> the JDI interface for Java 1.4, there are mechanisms for runtime
> replacement of bytecodes that don't require horrendous fancy ClassLoader
> schemes.  Granted they are 'debug' interfaces, and there are still
> questions about introducing runtime problems, but they are easier than some
> of the solutions already discussed.

Nice to know, this might be handy for instance upgrading without
playing awful lot of work with proxies or then again this would be handy
for upgrading the proxies themselves. =)

But in order to fully simulate DGD, you would also need versioning of
objects, DGD allows clones with different versions of master objects. For
this, you still need Classloaders..

Of course spawning the runtime mud lib object space into versions of
master objects for each clone is bad design.

 - Sampsa