[DGD] Cross-directory inheritance and read access

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 20:24:10 CET 2003

--- "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:
> In the first case, you should use forbid_inherit
> to define your own security model.

  I was just talking to Bart van Leeuwen (sp?) about
this idea...  I hadn't thought of it.  But no, I meant
the other way, inheritable but without its directories
and subdirectories being globally readable.

  Ideally I'd like to make an object inheritable only
to specific other objects, and as you say,
forbid_inherit could do that if I'm careful.  I could
define an inheritable_by() function in the library or
something.  Though I can't actually call functions in
a library object itself...  Hmm...  I can think of
hacks to get around this, like compiling-from-source a
trivial object that only inherits the library, but
that seems wrong.  I'll think more on this one.

> In the second case, you can separate file
> access and inheritance by
> making ~/open/lib/foo.c inherit from ~/lib/foo.c.

  This works, and is pretty close to my current
solution.  I have the PHANTASMAL_USER library in an
open directory, which isn't as bad as I feared -- it's
a library, so people can't just call random functions
on it because you can't call_other() to a library
directly.

  I'll bear in mind not to do it for a second-level
AUTO object, but so far that's not an issue for me.  I
suppose it may become one later.  But it's more likely
that I'll just wind up making /usr/game/lib a
globally-readable directory since only libraries will
be inside, so that'll be a very limited source of
security holes.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com