[DGD] Impressed with DGD

Christopher Darque thedarque at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 23:54:04 CET 2003

--- Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net> wrote:
> Didn't know there was a standard LP style, but that -does-
> look rather bloated if you use a lot of it.

Using 'standard' rather loosely, but enough that I have
made use of those codes on many different places.

> If you are actually going to do manipulation I'd just decide
> that each on-screen character is going to be two characters
> wide in the internal representation -- one colour markup and
> one the actual character..

I did think of that in the past, but size limits got in the
way. With 64K that would not be a problem.

The idea of a 2 byte code for each character removes the need
to reset the color to the basic after each insert which would
simplify things quite a bit.

With DGD's enhanced support for arrays I could also work a
little more normally. Generally a created picture is done via
a numeric array that is translated at the end into the strings.
The versions of LP I have worked with in the past made 2
dimensional arrays a major pain to work with so I just went
ahead and assembled the string directly.  It just makes
everything a little easier when you work directly with numbers
rather than having to deal with the final characters.

I am actually going into some bit of deep thought with the
idea of having the HTML type of colors to use. Just the ability
to have a range of intensity available is wonderful. ASCII Art
without color is, well, crap. With color you can make it look
like something recognizable and I rather like it. But if I could
really shade things with subtle color it would be a great leap
forward.

A.T
(-)

=====