[DGD] Problem with call_other()

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Tue Feb 18 10:30:50 CET 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, David Jackson wrote:
> I'm more of the opinion that, if it's sitting in my editor, and I can edit it,
> save it, and compile it, then whatever I do with it is ok, until I
> re-distribute it.  And redistribution is only sacred if there's a piece of
> tech there that I can't create from scratch.

  Generally correct.  "Fair use" gives you some rights in this direction,
I believe.  But "redistribution is only sacred if there's a piece...I
can't create from scratch" isn't actually true.  It's not a valid legal
defense, I mean.  Put it this way -- if you could somehow get the source
for MS-Windows, redistributing only the chunks that Linux already does
still isn't kosher.  It's copyrighted, so the fact that there's already a
public equivalent (or you can already do the equivalent) doesn't mean it's
not copyrighted.  For the same reason, a really good author can't
redistributed the work of a really bad author free of charge :-)

> But, I understand the sentiment, and agree, which is why I also believe in
> freely distributed patches, diff files, open source, etc.

  Yup.  Everything I've written for DGD, text or code, is public
domain.  That goes for my web site and for Phantasmal.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!